In The Lights stands in solidarity with our Black clients and the Black Lives Matter movement. We stand for justice for George Floyd, Ahmaud Arbery, Breonna Taylor, Tony McDade, and the countless other names who have lost their lives through senseless violence. We grieve with their families and our entire nation, and strive to create a more just and equitable future. For those that are grieving, we see you, we hear you, and we will not let your calls of pain go unanswered. For those protesting, we thank you, and join your calls for dismantling racist systems of oppression.
For the past seven years, we have been proud to represent and share the message of many Black artists. Their work has inspired and impacted us in profound ways. Our role as public relations and marketing professionals is to amplify our clients vision and missions and help the world see the importance of the art they create. We do not take this honor lightly, and it is our duty to continue to educate ourselves to best serve the clients who place their trust in us to share their message, especially when their story is different from our own experience, backgrounds, beliefs and capabilities.
Our promise to the Black community is to:
- Call out injustice whenever we see it.
- Commit to continued self-reflection and education around antiracism, equity, and justice.
- Share resources on how our industry and our community can donate, act, and get involved.
- Be open to criticism, be willing to listen, and work to rectify our mistakes, with the hope of earning back any trust that may be lost.
- Use our skills as communications professionals to craft narratives that break down barriers.
- Recognize the work of artists of color and strive to reach equitable representation in the media and in public discourse.
Black Stories Matter. Black Artists Matter. Black Lives Matter.
In The Lights Team
Featured photo: Purelements: An Evolution in Dance provides exceptional arts programming that reinvigorates and inspires the East Brooklyn